Full-Time Lecturer – Geography & the Environment
About the Job
- Job Description
The Department of Geography & the Environment at the University of Denver requests a full-time lecturer to begin teaching in autumn 2014 in support of introductory courses in physical and human geography and advanced courses related to topical specialty. The candidate will also be expected to direct the department’s internship program.
The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in Geography or closely related field and demonstrated ability to teach introductory university-level geography courses in a high-quality manner and also be responsible for the following:
- Teach coursework in support of introductory courses in physical and human geography and advanced courses related to topical specialty.
- Direct the department’s internship program.
- Supervise graduate teaching assistants assigned to assist the instructor in the common curriculum courses.
- Supervise students who are conducting internships for course credit
- The new lecturer would be expected to contribute to departmental, divisional, university, professional, and community service
The University of Denver is a medium-sized (12,000 students) private university located in a thriving metropolis at the base of the Rocky Mountains. The Department of Geography & the Environment consists of fourteen faculty members and offers a Doctorate Degree in Geography, Masters Degree in Geography and GIScience, undergraduate majors in Geography & Environmental Science, and undergraduate minors in Geography, Environmental Science, GIScience, Geology, Sustainability, and Tourism. The Department is housed in newly renovated facilities, and is equipped with first class teaching, research, and computer laboratories.
- Required Experience
- PhD degree in Geography, or closely-related field.
- Demonstrated ability to teach introductory university-level geography and environmental science courses in a high-quality manner
- Demonstrated ab ility to direct internship program
- PhD degree in Geography
- Several years of teaching introductory university-level geography courses in a very high-quality manner, as documented by previous teaching evaluations
Instructions for candidates:
All candidates must apply online through dujobs.org to be considered. To apply, please complete the on-line application at dujobs.org and attach: curriculum vitae, statement of teaching interest, evidence of teaching quality, and names of three references. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click “New Resume/CV” at the bottom of the page to begin application. Review of applications will begin April 30, 2014.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Please see our extensive benefit package at www.du.edu/hr/benefits
- Position Type